Struggles of Dolpo as an Artist – Part I




        It has always been my father, Gyaltsen and what he always inspired to do. Without him, it would not have been possible for me to be an artist. He used to be a very good skilled artist including a painter and also a good craftsman. Without any support, he learned many skills. Still he was known as a ‘Gyaltsen Khewa’ (skilled Gyaltsen). Though he was a breadwinner for the family, he never gave up his art. Early as a child, I learnt a lot from him. My young eyes met in depth with those colors painted beautifully by my ‘aaki’ (father). 

                                                   Image 1: A Gaze by Tsering Samdup.

Sherab Jhyama, my mother always patiently waited for his arrival every time when he left the village for his work in other neighboring Dolpo villages. Distance with my father was filled with the love of my dearest mother. She still takes the best care of me.    

During my time as a herder running after those livestocks including Yaks, Himalayan goats, and Sheep, I indulged in inscribing and creating many shapes in those flat red stones available in many areas of my village. I used to pick a sharp stone and make many faces of yaks and horses in those red stones. I still miss those local involvements in those large empty green pasture lands though the meaning of art for me has definitely changed.


 
                                                  Image II: Dolpo Yaks by Samdup Dolpo.


Art for me is also more about understanding my subject. The play of light in my subject’s body is important to me. I try to gaze him/her closely and I find the difference in such play. I find art there which continues to motivate me in creating what I seek to draw. Obviously it is always a tedious process though I tend to enjoy. My commitment towards education in Dolpo has shifted now shifted the meaning. I have found a purpose where I want to promote the education through my art. Though I am not really earning much and I have debt to pay off, this long bonding with art will definitely help me to pursue my dream in Dolpo. 

Even a threat to my life such as, I will cut and throw your bodies into pieces in Bheri river, from non-Dolpo teachers has not and will not stop me from doing what I continue to do. There are more things to understand than to sacrifice in this relentless journey. Moreover, born in the family of a farmer in Tsarka village, one of the highest human settlements has its share of motivation and troubles in how I am attempting to shape my life…      


    Image III: Tsering Samdup Dolpo with one of his recently concluded piece depicting an image of the late Thrinley Lhundup, a main lead actor of the highly acclaimed movie, Caravan. 










Note from the blogger: I have always remained intrigued by the art and how it tries to reflect our human society and its frailties. Human society and its frailties meanwhile need to be contextualized to make it more socially relevant. Dolpo and our struggles therefore also have its social relevance. With my Dolpo roots, I know I will remain in this journey to understand many aspects of such contexts where many travelers pass by. One of those travelers is Tsering Samdup Dolpo, here in this part is presented as an artist. Thankful to him, we managed to talk for extended two hours recently. Especially revolving around his struggles, we talked on many issues. In this part I have tried to present his thoughts on art. In the next part, I will put forward his struggles in his village, monastery and then back to Dolpo schools. Till then, I hope you readers will remain attached to this story of Tsering Samdup.... Thujichey!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘A-lay med-ne dhan-da ka-lay kha-reyd’: A Monk, School and Dolpo #education

I WANT TO GO AND STUDY: UGYEN, HER STRUGGLES, DOLPO, AND SOWA RIGPA

aa-pa ma-jayn ji-tok ji-ge ma-rad: Kunga Lama, School and Dolpo #education #struggles #dolpo